As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amish Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe. When it comes to classic American desserts, few can rival the irresistible charm of an Amish strawberry rhubarb pie. A flaky, buttery crust encasing tangy rhubarb and sweet, luscious strawberries is a dessert marriage made in heaven. This article will guide you through creating this delectable Amish strawberry rhubarb pie right in your kitchen. Get ready for a gastronomic adventure that will make your taste super happy!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Before we dive into the step-by-step instructions for making the perfect Amish Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe, let’s gather all the ingredients you’ll need:
For the Pie Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cold, cubed, unsalted butter, 1 cup (2 sticks)
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter (for dotting)
Now that you have all your ingredients ready let’s get started on crafting the perfect Amish Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe:
1st Step: Prepare the Pie Crust
- Salt and all-purpose flour should be combined in a sizable mixing dish.
- To the flour mixture, add the cold, diced butter.
- The butter should be incorporated into the flour using a pastry cutter, or you can use your fingertips until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add ice water, one spoonful at a time, until the dough comes together.
- The dough should be divided into two equal pieces, formed into discs, covered with plastic wrap, and chilled for at least 30 minutes.
2nd Step: Preheat Your Oven
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
3rd Step: Prepare the Filling
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced strawberries and chopped rhubarb.
- In a separate bowl, mix the granulated sugar and cornstarch together.
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the strawberries and rhubarb.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice, tossing everything together until well coated.
4th Step: Roll Out the Pie Crust
- Please take one of the chilled pie crust discs and roll it out on a floured surface to fit your pie dish.
- Carefully transfer the rolled-out crust to your pie dish, pressing it gently to fit the bottom and sides.
5th Step: Add the Filling
- Pour the strawberry and rhubarb filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Dot the filling with small pieces of butter.
6th Step: Add the Top Crust
- Roll out the second pie crust disc and place it over the filling.
- Trim any excess crust and crimp the edges to seal the pie.
7th Step: Bake to Perfection
- Make a few slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown.
- If the crust edges start to brown too quickly, you can cover them with foil.
8th Step: Cool and Serve
- Allow the pie to cool on a wire rack for at least two hours before serving. This will help the filling set.
- Serve your Amish strawberry rhubarb pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for an extra special treat.
Tips for the Perfect Pie
- For the freshest flavor, use authentic Key limes. However, regular limes can be substituted if you can’t find them.
- Be cautious not to overbake the pie, as it may become too firm.
- Chill the pie in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving for the best taste.
Ingredients That Make the Difference
Fresh Strawberries and Rhubarb
To create the perfect Amish strawberry rhubarb pie, you’ll need to start with the freshest ingredients possible. Seek out plump, ripe strawberries and crisp, red rhubarb stalks for that authentic flavor.
Sugar and Cornstarch
The sweetness of this pie comes from a carefully measured combination of sugar and cornstarch. It helps to balance the tartness of the rhubarb and strawberries.
Pastry for the Perfect Crust
Whether making your pastry or a store-bought version, a tender and flaky crust is essential for this recipe. Ensure that it lines your pie dish perfectly.
Butter and Lemon Zest
A touch of butter and lemon zest adds depth and complexity to the filling, elevating the overall flavor of your pie.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I use frozen strawberries and rhubarb for this pie?
Yes, you can use frozen fruit, but be sure to thaw and drain them before using in the recipe.
Can I make the pie crust in advance?
Absolutely! You can prepare the pie crust a day or two in advance and refrigerate it until you’re ready to assemble the pie.
How do I store leftovers?
Store any leftover pie in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Can I use a store-bought pie crust instead of making one from scratch?
While homemade crust is preferred for its flavor and texture, you can use a store-bought crust if you’re short on time.
Can I substitute the sugar with a sugar alternative for a lower-calorie version?
Yes, you can use a sugar alternative, but the taste and texture may differ slightly from the original recipe.
In conclusion, this step-by-step guide has given you the essential instructions to create a mouthwatering Amish Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. With the freshest ingredients and a little love, you can enjoy a homemade dessert that not only tantalizes your taste buds but also ranks high on Google search results. Impress your friends and family with this delectable treat, savouring the sweet success of outranking the competition. Happy baking!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.